FurBQ Becomes Mud-BQ : Rained Out and Rescheduled
Sadly for the first time in 18 years, The Official SoCalFurs FurBQ was Rained Out. We had gotten to our designated Group area right at 6AM, Right where the major downpour had just started.
We scouted the area, and noted the amount of mud that was accumulating all around the table areas. Compared to last and other years where we had morning moisture, This was Far worse, as in the past it had been Moist, but not Wet.
The decision was made to talk with the Park Rangers about a Reschedule. Fortunately the Ranger we spoke to had known about who we were and has seen the Fursuits we normally present, and she agreed with us that those aren't really designed to be tromping around in the mud. She brought up the schedule of available dates, and they were mostly in August and September. Knowing how hot August tends to be, we chose September 17th.
In the meantime, for those still looking to spend a Saturday with a big group of furries (and for those who have pre-purchased food items for FurBQ), we do know of an event that sprung up in lieu of the FurBQ reschedule. Consider this an "unofficial" substitute picnic for furries, as this was not organized by us as any sort of backup plan (see FAQ below).
The Address for the Mile Square Park location currently is:
16801 Euclid St, Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Some furries were able to create some last minute signage in the attempts to direct you to the right area within Mile Square Park. However, please contact LostWolf321 (via Twitter) if you find yourself lost.
A Few FAQs to address:
"Why didn't you cancel the event the night before?"
In the past, when we were using the General Picnic Spots, we were free to do exactly that. Last year, sadly, We were flagged by the rangers as "Your group is too big to use the General Areas", and we were told that future events held by us would need to be held in the Large Group Areas: Areas which are Minimum $300 to reserve, which is what we did for this year. The Major Caveat is that We Cannot make a "Rainout" decision ourselves, it would have to be at the discretion of the Rangers. Fortunately, the Rangers sided with our request.
"Why not move the event completely over to the New Park?"
At this time we have absolutely No clout with Mile Square Park: We have No idea how the Park Owners are going to take to 120+ people with costumed critters suddenly invading their space. Had this been a prior arrangement where we spoke to the Mile Square Park rangers in advance, we would be more willing to call it an "Official" relocation. But until we get names of the Owners of the park and chat with them, we cannot have an "Official" presence there yet. We are currently monitoring the impromptu event today, and will be asking for peoples input to see how we will proceed.
In the case of Mile Square Park, we just discovered that this is also under the OC Parks’ regional park system, so that means our group size would still be “too big” for the General picnic sites and thus we likely would have to reserve in the same way we have done this year for Irvine Regional Park